Monday, May 23, 2011

Taking a stand in Minnesota

There was a tremendous amount of pain across the Midwest this weekend. Tornadoes devastated the communities of Joplin, Missouri, and Reading, Kansas. I mean to take none of that lightly. But, while I tried to wrap my head around Mother Nature's wrath today (and I don't really believe Nature can have wrath), this impassioned speech by a Republican congressman in Minnesota moved me to tears:

Come to think of it, only humans are capable of wrath. Why do you suppose so much of it is focused on gay people who just want their love and commitment recognized by society at-large? It boggles the mind.

5 comments:

KJ said...

Brave soul. Very moving...thanks for posting!

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Outstanding! So glad you posted this, BG.

a fan said...

Cathy, Bravo and thanks for posting this and taking a personal stand for what's right. As with the civil rights movement for citizen's of color, women, age discrimination, and other social issues -- I hope some day we can look back and ask "What were we thinking?" with regard to our fellow gay Americans who are growing very tired of being second class citizens and being told they are "less than".

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks, and I agree. I really think that by the time my grandchildren (who have yet to be conceived) reach marrying age, it will be a non-issue.

Kim from Nebraska said...

I agree with you Cathy. I do hope this becomes a "non-issue" and our grandkids say to us "what were they thinking?" Kind of how young people today are staggered by the idea of "whites/coloreds drinking fountains" (which were probably the least hateful manifestations of American racism 50 years ago but were symbolic of the bigger issue.) Thanks for posting this.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...