Monday, July 18, 2011

Herb-o-rama!

    Yesterday morning, in a fit of Martha Stewartishness, I decided to hack half my stand of chives to make more room for the basil. I cut them into little pieces, dried them on a baking sheet on the screened porch and filled a good sized storage box for freezing.
    Then, I picked a whole bunch of ripe cherry tomatoes, mixed it with some freshly cut basil and mozzarella and - voila! - the first Caprese salad of the summer!
    Because the rosemary was feeling neglected, I chopped up a couple sprigs and tossed it with olive oil on some fingerling potatoes. I was not quick enough to get a photo before the hubs started wolfing them down.
   All in all, a very productive day, and a nice diversion from the reality of the coming week. Thursday is the 51st annual Downtown Lawrence Sidewalk Sale. Forecasts says 102. Come one, come all!

1 comment:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

So very Martha, BG! Yum. Stay cool.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...