Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Planning for Pharmageddon (Graphic photo alert!)

This will be me this fall. (I kept the photo as small as possible. Do not click to enlarge if you're faint of heart.)
     While you happily look forward to fall foliage, football weather and Octoberfest, I unhappily anticipate autumn as the Season of Efudex. As previously posted, I am in need of topical chemotherapy for a widespread pre-cancer scenario on my forehead.
     The challenge is two-fold: 1) Schedule the home-treatment (cream applied every day for 3 weeks; unsightly, if not grotesque, skin for four weeks) at a time when I will have as little contact with other humans as possible; and 2) acquire just the right hairdo so, when I do go out, I won't make toddlers scream in terror.
    I'm having a terrible time with No. 1, since fall is my favorite time of year and I have weddings and special events at work to negotiate. But, I'm making headway on No. 2:
    Unlike the poor fellow in the photo, I can wear forehead fringe to camouflage the epidermal carnage. Heavy bangs are difficult to get right but, today, my fab stylist gave me a softer, less severe version of the Anna Wintour....
    With the AW 'do and the right pair of over-sized shades, let's hope I'm able to skate thru my treatment with only a large aloe plant for comfort.
 You gals ARE using sunscreen every day, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope all goes well with the treatment. Excellent re-creation!

Cathy Hamilton said...

I was inspired by you, my dear!!

Marguerite said...

Sorry you must endure the Ef You. The cut and bangs are fab. We are off to northern CA today for a short vaycay. Did I mention it is 68 degrees there? Marg.

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Oh, me no likey. But you're gorgeous and will be even more so!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...