Sunday, August 21, 2011

Buskering in a blaze of glory

After two gloriously comfortable nights at the Lawrence BuskerFest (it's amazing what a 20-degree drop in temperature can do for my attitude), I can honestly say: Put a flaming fork in me, I'm done!
I was the kid who seriously wanted to run away and join the circus, so the busker lifestyle has a certain appeal...
This act - the guy lying face down in a pile of broken glass - is not appealing.
But, what amazes me is how many buskers are baby boomers who travel from fest to fest, like gypsies, working strictly for tips and enduring hecklers, clueless kids and pop-up thunderstorms.
This guy sat in that position for a good thirty minutes, letting kids change this hat and props.
 I'm not sure I could handle it.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...