Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cucumber-infused G & T

    Is there anything more refreshing on a 111-degree day than a cold, crisp cucumber? Yes! Ice cold cucumber-infused Beefeaters and sugar-free tonic! I speed-infused (sped-infused?) this gin by chopping up a whole, peeled cucumber, adding it to a jar of gin and shaking vigorously until I started to perspire. Then, I gave it a good chill in the fridge and - voila! - a delightful adult nectar and a lovely reward for making it through one of the hottest days on record without flipping anyone off.
   But, I'm only having one. Too much alcohol in weather like this can be dangerously dehydrating. (Note to self.)

4 comments:

Kim from Nebraska said...

OMG I will be trying this. I had cucumber infused vodka earlier this year and it was heaven. Beefeaters is our "house gin." We like it so much better than the ubiquitous Bombay or Tanqueray.

Cathy Hamilton said...

OMG, Kim, you must! It really is delish. My husband bought a very large Beefeaters at Costco because there was an $8 rebate card. (He actually sent it in, too!) I must say, it's every bit as good as the others - excepting, perhaps, Bombay Sapphire.

Kim from Nebraska said...

Just wanted you to know how much we deeply and thoroughly enjoyed our cucumber-infused-gin in martinis. We've made a second batch. Thanks for the idea.

Cathy Hamilton said...

The essence of summer refreshment, don't you agree?! Glad you liked it and thanks for the note/update.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...