Monday, August 22, 2011

This explains everything

    The headline reads: "Do You Suffer from Decision Fatigue?' My answer: A definite YES! Finally, this NYTimes piece offers a reason why I sometimes go out to dinner and cannot decide what to order to save my life. Why? Because I've made too many other decisions earlier in the day and my brain is plum tuckered out.
   I found the rest of the article fascinating, too, including a theory on how, by resisting temptation throughout the day (saying 'no' to pasta al fredo or cupcakes, for instance), we can actually reduce our ability to resist other vices at night (too many cocktails, one night stands or reality TV):  "The experiments confirmed the 19th-century notion of willpower being like a muscle that was fatigued with use, a force that could be conserved by avoiding temptation." 
   Since I've always found it impossible to avoid temptation, I'm not sure what the take-away here is....unless it's to say 'yes' to everything and let the chips fall where they may.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...