Saturday, September 4, 2010

Omaha, here we are!

Three hours and fifteen minutes is all it takes to get from Lawrence to Omaha. Here I am, assuming the position in the shotgun seat.  Never in 31 (almost) years of marriage have we started a road trip with me in the driver's seat.  This is unfortunate since I am always most alert - and, thus, a better driver - during the first leg of the trip. Alas, the driving order is tradition.  It will likely never change.
Courtyard by Marriott, at the corner of the Old Market district, is half-old/half-new.  Our suite is in the old part, which I much prefer. That's a big, old window looking out at a park and other old buildings.  Kind  of Zen-ny and very comfortable. 
Speaking of traditions, it's an unspoken family rule that when you roll into town, you immediately go in search of the local brew pub.  Fortunately, the Upstream was just a few blocks away.  That is the house IPA in the center and, for me, a refreshing Harvest Peach Saison.  And water.
In a weak moment, because we hadn't eaten for six hours, we ordered the Artichoke Asiago Dip at Upstream.  It was, without a doubt, the best version of the ubiquitous bar appetizer I have ever tasted. 
The streets of the Old Market area in Omaha are charming and multi-textured. I love the old advertising on all of the brick buildings.
More coming later.  Right now, we have a date at a Nebraska sports bar (the Cornhuskers are playing) and dinner for two at a famous Omaha steakhouse.  (When in Rome....)

2 comments:

JordyC said...

Welcome to Omaha! We run a little website called http://omaha.net and I've been toying with the idea of collecting out-of-towners impressions and compiling them somehow. If we view ourselves as an "insiders guide" this would be like the exact opposite -- an outsiders guide. What do you think?

Cathy Hamilton said...

Love it, JordyC! I wish I'd read this a little earlier in the trip. What a great site you have. I've already found my coffee shop for tmo morning, thanks to you.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...