Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Saving my superficial peroneal nerve

It appears a lifetime of sitting with my left leg tucked under me has resulted in prolonged damage to the aforementioned nerve in my leg. Symptoms are tingling, off-and-on numbness and, when the nerve is compressed, weird rhythmic vibrations on the outside of my left foot.  It's like someone turned the bass way up under my skin. Unnerving. (Ha!  Get it?!) The cure? B-complex vitamins and - here's the next-to-impossible part - no more leg tucking or sitting cross-legged (my go-to positions in practically every domestic seated scenario, except at the dinner table.) For the the past few weeks, I have tried to break myself of this lifelong habit. It takes a level of in-the-moment consciousness I haven't experienced in years. That can't be all bad, right?

3 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Me no likey. This seems unfair, and just plain wrong. I would like to lodge a formal complaint against your tingling, your off-and-on numbness, your leg situation.

Cathy Hamilton said...

It's a weird old-age kind of deal, to be sure. And my doctor doesn't think I've damaged it permanently. Still, I have to nip it in the bud so I don't get drop-foot. That, as you know, would greatly hinder my chances of getting on "Dancing with the Stars"!!

chenlina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...