Monday, May 10, 2010

My execution meal

As a lover of almost all things edible, I'm always wrestling with the question: What would my last meal be if I had a date with the electric chair at midnight?  (What?!! You don't think about crazy stuff like that?)  I came close to the answer with my Mother's Day dinner last night: Seasoned trout on the grill, steamed artichokes with hollandaise sauce (thank God I wasn't getting my cholesterol checked this morning), arugula salad with baked goat cheese and walnuts, warm, whole grain bread with Pasolivo olive oil for dipping and a killer Chardonnay (can't remember the name but it got a 94 rating!) Dessert was strawberries in balsamic vinegar over shortcake with whipped cream.  A meal made even more delicious because all I had to prepare was the hollandaise (I don't trust those idiot kids with my signature sauce) and no dishes to wash. Kill me now....

2 comments:

Diane said...

Looks Yummy! I'd love to try artichokes; I just have NO IDEA how to cook them...

Cathy Hamilton said...

Diane, I steam them. It's super-simple, as long as you have a big enough pot. Just cut off the stem (so they sit flat) and the tops (so you don't stick yourself on the tips of the leaves)and steam for about a half-hour or more, depending on their size.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...