Sunday, April 3, 2011

The bride wore coral

Not everyone gets to witness their mother getting married. By the time she and her groom took their vows, all traces of my ambivalence had vanished and I felt lucky, blessed and extremely happy for the two of them.
 It was a lovely family-only affair (which, in our case, came in around 40 people)....
I wanted to slip four of those gold chargers under my top on the way out, but my new stepbrother wouldn't let me.
The wedding cake was as delicious as it was gorgeous.
Outside, grandchildren from both clans bonded over streamers, aluminum cans and shaving cream provided by the accommodating country club staff.
Inside, the wine flowed between eloquent, tear-jerking toasts and boisterous songs at the piano. (Kudos to Gary Adams, piano man extraordinaire.) Shortly after this photo was taken, my stepbrother (and new favorite partner in crime) and I secured rice from the kitchen and the two families pelted the pair as they ran (or, in their case, walked quickly) to their awaiting carriage.
(That's my mother's first name on on the window, in case you were thinking the children were all terrible spellers.)
As they drove off to loud cheers and applause, someone said, "I hope they don't get pulled over on the way home." To which another replied, "Yeah, but that might just be the icing on the cake."

4 comments:

Marguerite said...

Wonderful. So happy for your family. Remembering my mother's wedding 6yrs ago. Having a partner is just so right no matter your age.

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Fabulous pix!!!!!!!! Mazel tov!

Cathy Hamilton said...

Day-after report from Mom: They're having a helluva time getting the shaving cream off the windows and rice is everywhere in the car! And who put the "Just Married" sign in their yard overnight?? (I have no idea.) Good thing they're off to Camelback tomorrow. This newlywed stress is too much!

KJ said...

So fun to see these wonderful pics! Absolutely beautiful on all accounts...

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...