Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day tripping to Tuscany


The cruise prize package included a shore excursion in Tuscany today. Our destinations:  Sureveto, a charming medieval village dating back to the year 1000, known today as a Slow Food City, Wine City and Olive Oil City (what’s not to love?); the Tua Rita winery where we enjoyed a 5-course winemaker’s lunch (yes, as in the noon meal!); and the hamlet of Bolgheri, immortalized in Giosue’ Carducci’s poem “Before San Guido.” In the interest of time and the ship's 95 cents-per-minute charge for the internet, here are the highlights:
 A charming street in Sureveto…
 Sureveto’s town hall…
 The window of Sureveto’s local Commie chapter….
 A Sureveto church all dressed up for Easter…
The winemaker at Tua Rita was a tall drink of Merlot….
 First course of the winemaker’s lunch: Antipasti…
 Second course: Pappardelle Al Cinghiale (wild boar and noodles)…
The Italian cops stopped us on the way to Bolgheri, just to give our bus driver a Breathalizer test.  True story.  Can’t be too careful, I guess….
 The square at Bolgheri…
 An enticing shop in Bolgheri…

3 comments:

Roe said...

I'm doing laundry and errands!

Anonymous said...

You were killing me until I realized that I should have been searching for Suvereto ;-) I've added a couple of Places To Visit to my list!

Anonymous said...

Hi Boomer Girl. Great Blog with great ideas to plan my trip to Italy. Thank you! M

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...