Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spotted by Locals: Internet goldmine

Oh, how I love this website I just discovered and really wish I'd thought of myself. I was able to find my hotel in Rome on a map (OK, my husband found it; I am notoriously directionally challenged) and click on restaurants and other attractions nearby, like this fab-o sounding gelato shop, along with a review written by one of 180 local "spotters." (How can I get that gig? Does it pay?) It only covers the largest cities in Europe, but what a great tool to have since - as I learned the hard way in Boston once - you can't always count on your concierge having good taste buds.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks for bringing this fab site to my attention. I've bookmarked it for an upcoming trip to London.
PS: I also have a "boomer" blog you might enjoy!

Cathy Hamilton said...

You're welcome, Angela. It really is a genius idea. Love your blog and gladly recommend to my readers. Click on Angela's name, readers, and you're there.

Unknown said...

Hi Cathy, I'm one of the Spotters in London. As far as I'm aware there are no concrete plans to expand outside of Europe but best to contact Bart or Sanne (the founders) for a definitive answer.

@Angela: Hope you'll find the London cityblog useful. Would love to hear your feedback.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks, Charl. And lucky you! I'd have to wait until they expand to the Midwest (Kansas City) but what fun being a spotter would be. Maybe I'll spot you in London someday.

Unknown said...

Ping me when you're in London town - @charlie74. Are you based in KC? I work for a company whose parent is based there.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Charl, I'm about 35 miles from Kansas City. Which company?

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...