Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Roman holiday: Part due!

    I am enjoying my second glass of wine before dinner and free, unlimited wireless internet at Hotel Rex while listening to a couple arguing across the back courtyard. (I think they had sex twenty minutes ago because they stopped fighting, then the man started screaming - not moaning, screaming - in a rhythmic manner for 5 or 6 minutes and I didn't hear a peep out of the woman. Now, they're yelling again.) How Italian is that? (And this is not the wine talking.)
    Here are some more pictures from today:
The famous Spanish Steps.
Halfway up!
Bellissimo!
Halfway to go!
Our reward at the top: Trinita del Monti
Gorgeous mural inside the church.
Back on the street, a car show was in progress....
Because only Italian cops would drive Lamborghinis, si?
I still like my Toyota.
Oh, and the beatification of Pope John Paul II?  It's kind of a big deal here.

2 comments:

Kim from Nebraska said...

Piece on NPR today said the Romans are way bummed that tourism has actually gone down due to the John Paul thing -- people are avoiding the anticipated crowds and boycotting the jacked-up hotel rates. I found a bit of satisfaction in that. The greediness of hoteliers instead left them with empty rooms.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Well, if this is a down-trend in tourism, I'd hate to see an uptick. Jesus. And I can say that because I was blessed by the Pope this morning!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...