Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Morning in the children's room

   It was Sammy Spider's First Hanukkah today at story time in the library, and standing room only, as you can see. The librarian did a splendid job of reminding me how good writing - all writing, but especially for children - has a distinct rhythm to it.  I find myself reading the kids' book I'm writing aloud - over and over - just like I used to do with TV news scripts. Funny how two completely different endeavors share the same process. (Altho' there are some who would argue that writing for TV news isn't a stretch from writing for 5-year-olds.)
   That's the local rabbi on the left who showed us how to refine olive oil in a hand press to make a wick to light the menorah. So interesting! 'Can't wait to go back next week.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...