Saturday, December 4, 2010

'Wonder if Martha ever had this thought

   It occurs to me that decorating for Christmas is a lot like sex for middle-aged women. Sometimes you're tired and not in the mood. But, someone else thinks it's high time, so you bite the bullet and get started, hopefully after a glass of Shiraz or a nice foot rub. (Am I right, ladies?)
   Somewhere in the process, something switches on and you start to really enjoy it.  You remember how much fun it is, and the end result is spectacular! When it's over, you're exhausted and gratified in the lovely afterglow.
Then, you find yourself craving a cigarette, tho' you haven't smoked in over 30 years. So, you settle instead for a nap.

4 comments:

KJ said...

Funny!

marty said...

As I haul out the boxes of glittery Christmas stuff & deck the halls today, I'll be thinking of this post. I'll save the Shiraz 'til after the deed, though. Too funny!

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks, KJ. And Marty, carry on... but don't forget the foot rub. If men only realized how effective those can be. Happy hall decking!!

Joni said...

This is great! I love your creative metaphors!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...