Saturday, September 8, 2012

Ra-ra, sis-boom-ba!

It was a glorious day for a college football game. 75 degrees at kick-off with a lovely breeze wafting through our shady tailgate spot in KU's Marvin Grove, just a 15-minute walk from my house.
I thought about my dad today. He was the greatest Jayhawk fan of all time (self-proclaimed) and the man who taught me the rules of football at an early age. From the time I was four, I was his constant companion in Memorial Stadium, rooting for the team through thick and thin.
We used to sit under the press box, right side, 35 yard line. Section 8, Row 51 on the aisle. (How can I still remember that?)
I'm sad to say that, except for the rituals - fight songs, Rock Chalk chant and tailgating parties - I don't care much for the game anymore. Still, it's good to go, once in a while, to soak up the atmosphere and feel the spirit of your fellow fans, present and past.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...