Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering what we lost

    This is the award-winning front page my newspaper colleagues put out on Sept. 12, 2001 in an all-hands-on-deck team effort that many are still talking about today on Facebook.  I was working on the TV side of the street at the time, having yet to "cross over" to print. In fact, that's where I was when the second plane hit, standing in the control room where I could see the horror happen on numerous monitors, as if one haunting image wasn't enough.
   So much has changed since then. Not only on a macro, i.e. world, level, but in my own professional microcosm. Most of my fellow reporters who covered the events of Sept. 11 have gone separate ways, leaving journalism for other, more stable professions. Newspapers are mere shadows of their former selves, with page counts that are, too often, laughably pathetic.
   Today, my heart is heavy remembering the lives lost in the worst American tragedy of my lifetime, and the subsequent decline of newspapers. I miss the way they were. I miss the way we were.

2 comments:

Nebraskim said...

As a former newspaper reporter, I completely agree with your sadness over the loss of the profession, Cathy. It's equally pathetic in local TV news now. Both our local stations and I suppose most now, have pared down to maybe one director or producer, no camera operators, and it's all remotely controlled by the anchors, who preload camera cues, etc. into a computer before the cast. But if something goes wrong, it's just a cascade of a disaster and trying to do a live breaking news cast is almost impossible. And then they wonder why no one watches, or if they do watch, it's for the humor of watching a train wreck.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Agreed, Kim. My former TV station is down to a skeleton crew and relying on way too much nat'l news when, back in the day, our advantage was being "uberlocal." So sad.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...