Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Going green on the countertops

   Have finally decided (I hope) to cover the new kitchen counters in PaperStone in the color shown above (although my cabinets will be painted white).  PaperStone is a newish product made from post-consumer recycled paper and a proprietary, petroleum-free resin. It is the only solid surface material certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, Smartwood and the Rainforest Alliance and, most importantly, it's about half the cost of granite.  I've never been a big fan of granite, anyway, preferring something with more of a matte finish.  Besides, we've got about 28 linear feet of counter space to cover and I don't want to break the bank before I get my instant hot water dispenser for the new sink. (It's the little things that make the difference, you know...like tea on demand!)
   Unless we go for something a little lighter, our back splash will probably be these 4 x 12" Mirage glass tiles in "Morning Coffee."  Easy to install (due to their size) and, because they're glass, they'll cast a lovely glow with under-cabinet lighting.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...