Friday, July 30, 2010

Yellowstone bear hunters

Reading the news about the fatal grizzly attack near Yellowstone National Park reminded me of my trip there with a few of my girlfriends back in '07.  So, I dug up the old photos and was pleased to discover I've lost quite a few LBs since then....yay!
But, that's not my point.  My point is, we spent an inordinate amount of time on that trip looking for bears.  The buffalo sighting, while exciting, wasn't enough...
 The trip to Spasm Geyser (cue the sex jokes) was thrilling, but didn't quite cut it...
We REALLY wanted to see a bear so, cameras at the ready, we drove verrrrrry slowly through the park, scanning rivers and flamed-out timber for grizzlies doing their thing...
 We never saw a bear.  This woman did, though, and she lived to tell the tale.
Respect the bears, people.  They're getting aggressive.  Must be all the tourists chasing them all the time.

3 comments:

Suzy said...

My church garbage can has been mangled nearly beyond functionality but repeated bear visits, as has the back of my metal garden shed. I think twice before I take the garbage out.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Geez, Suzy! Be careful out there, wherever you are. My husband and son had a close encounter at Philmont Boy Scout ranch years ago when a bear, attracted to the smell of acne cream, of all things, attacked a camper in the middle of the night. The kid was OK, but the midnight hunt for the bear, with all those young scouts out in the woods, was something my husband will never forget.

Carol Starr Schneider said...

BG! We are so related! We are sisters separate by a few states! How funny that we both wrote about this today! I love the photos of you and the gals. I haven't step foot on a campsite since 'the incident' and never will again!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...