Sunday, July 11, 2010

Weddings: They're all about the dress

    I'm a long-time proponent of legal same-sex marriage. It's preposterous not to recognize loving and committed people - gay or straight - and afford them equal rights under federal law.
   That said, I am disturbed at the possibilities presented by the Today's show choice to open their annual "Modern Day Wedding" contest to same-sex couples.  Don't get me wrong, I applaud the decision.  But, what if the winners - and no offense to my gay male friends - are a couple of guys?
  Today's competition allows its viewers to select the winning couples' wardrobe, rings, wedding party outfits, reception venue and honeymoon destination.  Then, they broadcast the early-morning ceremony LIVE during the show. (Talk about pressure reciting those vows!)
   I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited over mens formal wear, or wedding bands, for that matter. They can't hold a candle to wedding dresses and ring bling. Unless one of the pair is a drag queen, I'm pulling for a lesbian wedding, or a run-of-the-mill straight affair.

2 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

I think it's a great development: Today Throws A Gay Wedding! Hairstyles, Tuxes, bring it on. I'm up for it, BG.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Me, too. But, how much can you do with man hair and tuxes? That's all I'm sayin'. But, big-time bravo to Today for considering.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...