Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"I am a media professional."

As part of their severance package, my former employer is providing two full-day sessions with an outplacement coach. Yesterday was day one. I have to say, as reticent as I was to participate, in the beginning, the course has proven beneficial, beginning with the way I think of myself.  Yesterday, I was a journalist.  Today, I am a media professional "with extensive experience in print, TV and web development." In addition, I'm an "innovative strategist with proven abilities in content development, new product launches, public relations, marketing and advertising."  That, my friends, is what you call a positioning statement. Now, it's on to the resume. 'Think I'll make mine scented for a 'little something extra' ("Legally Blonde.")

2 comments:

Lil Sis Boombah said...

I would hire you if I were in a position to. But who knows. In a couple of years, you might be in a position to hire me. Losing your job might turn out to be a turning point for the better!

Don't let anyone bring you down with talk about "job hunting avoidance." If they're not paying your bills, it's really none of their business.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Hi, Lil Sis.

You're too kind.

I am absolutely looking at it as a turning point for the better. As for 'job avoidance' talk, I think that was just a cautionary note "from love," if you will. The career transition coach suggests that, while staying focused on the next step, one needs to do whatever one needs to do to regroup. In my case, it's a literal, physical "fresh start." I remember doing the same thing when my dad died.

Thanks!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...