Monday, November 8, 2010

It might not pay, but my work's cut out for me

I woke up on the "first Monday of the rest of my life" with one goal in mind: transforming the extra upstairs bedroom into a nice office for moi. Something in a light, periwinkle blue...white beadboard wainscoting....caramel-colored upholstery, perhaps. There's only one problem....
 It looks like the hoarder's hole from hell! It's stuffed to the dormers with all the junk we hauled out of the attic when we installed the new furnace. Throw in all my son's worldly possessions that didn't fit in his apartment and my daughter's cast-offs and I'm looking at a 3-day job, at least. The good news is, I've always found back-breaking manual labor a good thing to do while pondering life's great questions, like what one will do with the rest of one's career?

4 comments:

Going Like Sixty said...

I think this is job-search avoidance. Or writing avoidance. ie: Looking for tasks to keep you from actually remembering you once had a career that was taken away.

If you're still making an "office" by Friday. You're avoiding.

The five days you lose this week can never be regained.

Going Like Sixty said...

Here ya go:
https://www.ebyline.com/

Cathy Hamilton said...

If I were working on a yoga or a sewing room, I would agree with you, 60. (BTW, before I even started, I scheduled two meetings and talked to an editor about an assignment.) Mama needs a proper office now. No more dining table filing system. Indulge me that one; I'm not frittering.

And thanks for the link.

Flowers said...

Well, I hope you scored one of those sweet Peruvian sweaters for yourself. I know it's kind of not cool to take gifts from people we write about, but who cares? I have a freelance article in a mag about a certain haberdasher who has written to tell me that in addition to his thanks, he would like to give me a hat. Being that I could never afford one for myself, my reply was BRING IT ON!!! Hope all is well and your office is shaping up. Good writers are hard to find, so I'm sure you'll be busy again soon.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...