Monday, August 16, 2010

Deconstructing Episode 4

   Oh, Mad Men.  You always give me tons to think about as my head hits the pillow. (Wonder if that's the reason I never sleep well on Sunday nights?)
   Dear Don, you're on a highway to hell and I'm not enjoying the ride. Pull your drunken, lung-polluting, brooding self together.  I'm getting sick of looking at you. 'Can't believe I just said that, but it's true.
   Dear Pete, wow! You do have your moments. Leveraging your wife's unlikely pregnancy to get the whole kit and kaboodle account (minus Clearasil) from Daddy-in-Law? Genius.
   Dear Joan, it sucks being you right now, and I don't like that either.  You need a Pete moment. Or an Allison moment. 
   Dear Allison, good for you, turning a focus group meltdown into a triumph. I do believe you gave Don something to think about as he dives for rock bottom.
   Dear Roger (whose real-life alter ego directed the episode), I loved, loved, loved the first "conference call" scene with Lucky Strike. You're hilarious and fun.  Thank God.
   And dear, dear Peggy, I love you as the confident, lesbian-spurning, weed-smoking Bohemian (best line of the night: "No, but he's renting it.")... not to mention that beatnik-inspired turtleneck you wore to the party. You've never looked better all season.  But, alas, you were smitten with that wedding ring, weren't you? And Pete's paternity news just about had you floored.  That lingering glance between you and your would-be baby daddy at the end of the show broke my heart.
   (Have I mentioned I actually use Pond's cold cream?  It's the best make-up remover I've found, to date.)

2 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

"He's renting it." Best line ever! Ponds is the best makeup remover.

Cathy Hamilton said...

I even have Ponds night cream but that's because I'm a cheapskate and have refused to shell out for the fancy stuff. But, since Mad Men, I'm feeling kind of retro cool over it.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...