Saturday, August 14, 2010

It's all Greek to me

I live in a Greek neighborhood.  Not Greek like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Greek like Fraternity Row.  At this time of year, you can drive down the streets and hear sorority girls singing to would-be BFFs in what is known as "Recruitment." Back in the day, it was called "Rush," something I participated in twice - once as a rushee, once as a rusher.  (I lasted only one year at the Kappa house.) It wasn't pleasant either time.  Way too stressful and emotional. BUT, back in 1975, Rush was the only time of year when you could get all the free cigarettes you wanted, on the house.  There were silver trays of them lying everywhere at all the rush parties.  We'd always take one to smoke and one for our purse. Can you imagine?

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...