Monday, August 23, 2010

Mad Men: The shame of it all!!

    I was ten years old in 1965, just like poor little Sally Draper. My life looked a lot like hers - except I was happy, my mom was actually human, and my dad didn't chase everything in a skirt or drink all day.  But, I wore the same clothes (Lanz nightgowns, plaid skirts and tights) and lived in a house very much like the suburban center hall two-story Sally hates to call home. I even tried to cut my hair once ('though I was much younger) and, in fourth grade, wore a page boy exactly like the one seen above.  And, yes, I was taught - like most children in the mid 60's (especially Catholic ones) - that sexual feelings were to be kept in the closet. The difference is, while everyone else was crushing on David McCallum in "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.," I was smitten with Robert Vaughn, which makes no sense given my taste in men today. Yes, last night's episode was a weird trip down Memory Lane for the Boomer Girl.
   But the show just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?  That play for the Honda account was genius. Why Don still pursues that boring Bethany is beyond me, however. Mrs. Blankenship would be a more interesting dinner date.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...