Sunday, August 1, 2010

Thank you, God.

If I had an Oprah gratitude journal, this would be my entry today:
I am grateful I didn't have to help anyone move this weekend.
 
The rental scene in my university town turns over on Aug. 1st. U-Haul, Penske and Budget rental trucks clog neighborhoods. Cars drive the wrong direction down one-way streets. Sweaty college students roam the grocery store in a daze, looking for household cleaners. This afternoon, I saw somebody's mom, directing traffic around a stalled U-haul truck on Naismith Drive. She did not look happy. I was really, really thankful I wasn't her.
And, I'm grateful for Jon Hamm.  (You seriously didn't think I'd go a whole Sunday without mentioning Mad Men, did you?) That man wears a five o'clock shadow like no one I've ever seen.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...