Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I love me a good mock-up

    I'm a verbal kind of gal. Words are my stock and trade.  My mate is more of a visual guy.  He thinks in pictures, works with blueprints and sketches. This makes for some, er, interesting challenges, especially now as we (slo-o-o-o-wly) redo our kitchen. 
   After much debate about the size and scope of the breakfast bar (me not being able to "see" it from Sharpie lines drawn on the floor), he erected a rough model for my visualizing pleasure. What you see is the breakfast bar only.  A cooktop will go inside the 'L' where the black rectangle is.
   Last night, we sat at our makeshift counter on the old bar stools, wine glasses atop flimsy plywood, and dreamed about the day, weeks months from now, when we christen the new kitchen with a proper toast.
  Meanwhile, other progress has been made including can lights, all plumbing and wiring (including speakers in the ceiling) and scads of duct work you can't see.
 Still, I'm counting the days until Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

It's beginning to look a lot like a kitchen. All that's missing: appliances, and a sink, and a floor... It better happen by Thanksgiving, or else. In the meantime, make lots of threats, give lots of ultimatums. Whine like crazy. Guys really like that!

Cathy Hamilton said...

Appliances, sink, floor, countertops, tile, cabinets, knobs, fixtures, pendant lights, paint, new bar stools. But, I'm fine with the pace. Really I am. And I'm using wine - not whine - and other, er, means of positive reinforcement, until that tack no longer works. Then, I'll bitch like crazy.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...